Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Athens/Piraeus

Today was major sightseeing. We didn't go up to the top of the Acropolis because it was too hot and we have done that twice before. They still have the scaffolding up. It has been up for years. I guess they will never finish it. We did go to the Agoura and the library of someone who I forgot. It might have been Heracles. Some Ancient Greek. I really enjoyed it till the heat got to me. After a siesta we went for a lovely al fresco dinner at the marina. There was a nice sea breeze which helped. Then we decided to walk back to the hotel and of course got lost. At which point a Chinese couple who spoke no English asked us for directions and showed us a card from the hotel we are staying at. So, no Chinese, no English, no Greek, we found our way back to the hotel with the Chinese couple tagging along.

It will be an early night, before midnight that is, because we are taking a ferry to one of the islands tomorrow to get away from some of the crowds. It is crazy here. Millions of visitors from all over the world. It is rare that they will take credit cards. It's cash only in this shaky economy but it's a good rate for the dollar. So I am not finished shopping. I am just waiting till my shopping guru gets here in a few days. In the meantime, we are walking miles and sweating copious amounts while drinking gallons of water.

No comments: