Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The North Pacific

The North Pacific

This is the second sea day following a spectacular departure from San Francisco. The seas are calmer than expected but it is getting quite cold outside. I spotted my first whale just a few minutes ago, right outside my window on the port side of the ship. Hopefully, it will be one of many wildlife sightings.

Last night we ate in the specialty restaurant for our anniversary and it was truly the best meal I have ever had. It was so good that it practically put me into a food coma! And the service was white glove all the way.

Prior to that I spent a good part of the afternoon in the spa so I was very relaxed and mellow and felt really great. No fancy treatments; just the steam room and the free stuff was enough. There are some really crazy people on this ship who have been going into the swimming pools and hot tubs even though it is 46 degrees outside right now and getting colder by the minute. Oh well. Each to his own.

The sky is grey today and so is the water. We are due to reach Icy Straight Point tomorrow at about midday. This is a tender port, so getting in and out of the tender should be hilarious. I hope not to fall in. There is a forecast for rain too. Oh well. I knew what I was getting myself into beforehand.

The ship stores are really boring and there is nothing to buy. That is saving Jerry lots of money and he is beyond happy. Also, we don’t have many shore excursions planned, which will save even more. I think it will be enough to walk around the towns, look at the wildlife, talk to the locals and just hang out. That seems to be what everyone does. There are such characters up here in Alaska that I think we will be amused enough. Who knows, I might run into Sarah Palin! I don’t know what would be more fun…sighting a whale or Sarah herself. In any case, I am looking forward to beautiful scenery and some new experiences, that is if I can stand the cold. I have the traveling coat so I should be fine. You know the movie, Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. Well, my family has the Traveling Coat. My daughter, my sister and I take this coat all over the world. It is passed along to whoever needs it next and right now it is firmly in my possession, along with gloves, hat and long underwear, not to mention sweat suits and heavy socks. I am slowly adding another layer to my wardrobe each day. By the time we get to Icy Straight Point tomorrow I should closely resemble the Michelin Man!

Well, I’m off to look for more whales.

No comments: