Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Juneau, Alaska

Juneau is the capital of Alaska and has about 50,000 residents. It is a beautiful port surrounded by snow-capped mountains and the houses are painted bright colors. It is very laid back. I expected Sarah Palin to greet me at the ship but she was nowhere to be found, along with the rest of the state and federal employees. The people around here don't seem to like her very much.

We took a tour of the city, which is very small, and then went out to the Mendenhall Glacier, which is quite beautiful. We were able to get close enough to take some good photos. Right now I am sitting in the Juneau Public Library, which has free wi fi, across the street from the Red Dog Saloon. Looking out the windows I see snow covered mountains, a calm sea, sunshine, a few cruise ships, and many multic-colored buildings. I was in a sleeveless tee shirt before. Hard to believe.

No comments: