Saturday, April 18, 2009

Buenos Aires Day Two

I am writing this blog after finishing an entire bottle of red Mendoza wine by myself (Jerry says he had half). So if it is not too coherent you will know why. Last night we had dinner in Puerto Madero, an area know for upscale restaurants and hotels. It was not as good as last time but we ate it all anyway and then took a stroll along the waterfront. After that we found our way on foot to Plaza San Martin and walked around there for a while. This is a lively, late-night area where the young people hang out. We then made our way to the park where the Buddy Bear exhibit was and said we would come back in the morning because we really wanted to see them in detail and it was too dark.

This morning we got up really late, had breakfast in the hotel and then went back to the Buddy Bear exhibit in the park. It was really spectacular and I am glad we did it. Those bears were amazing...one from each country and all decorated differently and promoting world peace. Speaking of peace, there is a Greenpeace ship in town and they had a big party on it last night. Many police were in attendance so there must have been a demonstration of some sort earlier that we missed.

Anyway, this morning after breakfast and the Bears we walked along Florida Street and Lavalle Street, the main shopping pedestrian streets in the center of town. I picked up my dancing shoes, which they custom made for me and now I am prepared to tango myself to death! I may be a clutz, but I sure look good.

We took a taxi to La Boca, which is the oringial Italian settlement in Buenos Aires. The Italian immigrant population is very large and is a major part of the city´s history. The area is now very colorful, with buildings made out or corrugated tin and painted in wild colors with statues of papier mache throughout the area. It is the area where tango is danced in the streets and there are many restaurants, bars, etc., where you just sit down, order something and you can sit all day watching tango dancers and gaucho shows. The streets are cobblestone and very old.

Well, yours truly made a complete ass of herself and danced the tango on stage with one of the male tango dancers. I just cannot believe I actually did it. Jerry filmed the entire thing so I can be reminded of it whenever he feels like it. Oh, what the hell. You only live once and I actually was not that bad!

Of course, my head is still spinning from it all and I have to take my siesta pretty soon or I will never make it through dinner which will probably start at around 9:30. They are very Spanish here and don´t eat till very late. I am fine with it as long as I get my siesta in like everyone else does here.

It has been so much fun here so far. The weather is perfect...70 and cloudy...perfect for sightseeing and wandering around. My Spanish is even better when I´ve had a few glasses of wine. A gentlement and his son complimented me today on my Spanish. I think I was already half loaded by then.

Tomorrow is the day we go to the San Telmo flea market, which is fabulous, and then to the Gaucho Fair, the Matadero, and then we leave on one of the dreaded bus rides at 8 p.m. This bus is the overnight bus to Mendoza, the wine country. Good, just what I need...more wine! It is a 13 hour trip overnight and we have the cama suite area, which is like a first class bed on an airplane, so I have been told. In Latin America the best transportation is by bus or plane and we didn´t want to go by plane because we wanted to see the countryside close-up. It will be an experience. The Dengue fever outbreak is not where we are going. However, where we are going is up in the Andes and if the pass is closed we will be in big trouble. Hopefully, it won´t snow and we will be able to continue without too much difficulty.

Well, the room is still spinning and it´s time for me to lie down for my siesta so it´s goodbye for now from beautiful Buenos Aires. The cameras are charging right now after Jerry´s creative hookup to the electricity so the photos will have to wait till next time. Things couldn´t be better and we really are having a spectacular time here.

No comments: