Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Werne and Munster

Today we met up with the rest of the group and all 28 of us took the train to Munster where we first went for a stroll around the local food market where we ate our way up and down the aisles. It was a typical European outdoor food market where all the locals shop and everything is wonderfully fresh.

 

We got apfelkuchen which is like apple cake to die for. Then we stopped at the cheese merchant together some Munster cheese which is my favorite. He looked at us like we had two heads each and said he never heard of such a thing. But we were right in the middle of Munster! And I wanted Munster cheese. He said that cheese is from France but he can give us some local cheese called Alpine. So I gave in and it tasted very happy like what we think we is Munster cheese so I was sort of happy. This exchange all took place in German of course but some of my words were Yiddish I am sure. So following that interesting exchange we went into the famous cathedral to see the clock which was very interesting and just was renovated. We strolled around the city of Munster which is quite lovely and has beautiful stores and walking areas. We ran to the train station in a torrential downpour to catch the train back to Werne.

After a moment to catch our breath we were picked up and taken by fancy motor coach to a brewery where we were taken on a private tour. This is a very upscale and famous brewery which means nothing to me because I don't drink beer. Anyway, after the tour we were treated to a beer tasting and a gigantic German meal. And yes, I did drink the beer and it was very good. Carol and I were a little tipsy but we made it home somehow. It was a ver busy day filled with good fun and lovely people. The hosts are beyond gracious and the other tennis players are loads of fun. All ages and all sorts but we all get along and are laughing hysterically most of the time.

Tomorrow we are being taken to the outdoor Turkish market in the morning and playing tennis and watching some matches in the afternoon. It has been cold but it is a nice change from the Florida heat. I got stung by a wasp and my arm is all red and swollen and itchy and I have a muscle spasm in my back but I M having a super time and just rolling with the punches. Ach du liber!

No comments: