Saturday, June 5, 2010

Barcelona to Toulon

From Barcelona to Toulon, France
This morning we walked from one end of Barcelona to another and found ourselves back on La Rambla to watch the local crazies and con artists. We saw a guy who lost 100 Euros in a shell game, the oldest con in the world. People kept warning us to watch our cameras and backpacks but we did fine. My backpack is like Fort Knox. Someone would actually have to hit me over the head and kill me to get at it. We went to Barri Gotic, the old part of Barcelona. We walked through tiny, narrow streets dating from the 1300’s. We came upon a demonstration protesting salary caps and lower pensions. It was exciting but peaceful. Just a lot of singing and shouting. We took the Metro again without getting lost. The ship is quite large but very orderly and the crew is very nice. Most of the passengers are Spanish and they are in a party mood. The food is good. I had a sugar free dessert in my attempt to stick to some sort of good eating habits. We have been walking miles and miles. Jerry is resting so you can imagine how much we walked!
The Med is calm as a lake with barely two-foot seas. I love my veranda and am writing from it right now. Had my Cappucino after dinner and am a very happy camper. The weather is gorgeous. About 75 degrees now and going to 80 tomorrow. We will be in the south of France all day tomorrow. I hope to find a local market in Provence. I love those things. Not sure where we will go yet. Probably one of the small towns along the coast. It really doesn’t matter. They are all beautiful. Adios for now from the middle of the Mediterranean.

No comments: